January 10, 2018

Book Subscription Review: Bookroo


I'm a reader.  Always have been always will be.  And my passion is to get others reading as well.  For me that starts at birth.  When my three kiddos were little that had so many books! We had them everywhere.  I feel its so very important to introduce the youngest of kids to books and reading.  

So when I was offered a sample of Bookroo for review I jumped at the chance.  What is Bookroo you ask?  It's a book subscription box for children.  Each month they send you 2 or 3 books depending on your subsciption.  These are books that are choosen in a fantastic way.  This his how Bookroo puts it, "As book explorers, Bookroo discovers the hidden gems not already on your shelves and brings them straight to your door. With help from a panel of approximately 12 families attending Stanford University who read the books with their own children and rate them, Bookroo uses those ratings to help select the best books in each box every month!"

Bookroo has two different subsciption boxs:

Picture Book Box
  • Perfect for kids age 2-6
  • Contains 2 hardcover picture books, individually gift wrapped!
  • Chosen with the help of the Bookroo Review Process
  • Retail value of books exceeds subscription price

Board Book Box
  • Perfect for kids age 0-2
  • Contains 3 board books, individually gift wrapped!
  • Chosen with the help of the Bookroo Review Process
  • Retail value of books exceeds subscription price

I was sent a sample of the Picture Book Box. The first thing I noticed when the box arrived was the packaging! It was super cute and solid. I've had a few books from placed I've orderd from arrive in simple envelops. That wasn't the case with Bookroo. The second thing I noticed was the packaging for the books inside. They were wrapped!! What fun for a little one getting the box.

Wrapped books


Inside I found two picture books:


I hadn't heard of either of them. That was good because I wouldn't want them to be the overly popular books because the risk of owning them would be too high.

About the books:
Land Shark by Beth Ferry
Illustrated by Ben Mantle
The only thing Bobby wants for his birthday is a pet shark. So you can imagine his disappointment when his parents get him...a puppy. Everyone knows shark lovers can never become dog lovers. Or can they? Full of humor and heart, this book explores the idea that sometimes, getting exactly what you don't want turns out to be exactly what you need.

Rock-a-Bye Room by Susan Meyers
Illustrated by Amy Bates
A mother soothes her daughter before bed as they say good night to all the things in her room—a rocking horse, dolls, blocks, and even the pictures on the wall—until it’s time to share a story and a kiss good night. With lulling rhymes and lush watercolors, Rock-a-Bye Room is a homespun love song from a mother to child with a dreamy, rockabilly twist. This tender lullaby will be the perfect complement to any child’s nighttime ritual.

Thoughts on the Books
I loved both books. Land Shark made me giggle and Rock-a-Bye Room is a book I could have seen reading when I needed my kids to quiet and get ready for bed. What I really loved was that they were two different types of books. They were both silly or serious. And that neither were based on popular cartoon or movie characters. They were beautiful fun well chosen books.

Final thoughts: If I had little ones I would be getting this subscription box for sure! The presentation was fantastic and the books were thoughtfully chosen. It would've been something both my kids and I wouldn't looked forward to!

Encourage your child to read with Bookroo!
Available starting at $15.99, with month-to-month subscription at $17.99 in both US and Canada. Can be purchased online at www.bookroo.com.
  
Follow Bookroo:

2 comments:

  1. Aww, this looks like such an adorable gift for a young child. Wish I had someone to gift this to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Thanks for telling me about it. I will keep this in mind for future baby showers.

    ReplyDelete