December 11, 2017

Review: Wild Born (Spirit Animals #1) by Brandon Mull

Title: Wild Born (Spirit Animals #1) 
Author: Brandon Mull

Four children separated by vast distances all undergo the same ritual, watched by cloaked strangers. Four flashes of light erupt, and from them emerge the unmistakable shapes of incredible beasts - a wolf, a leopard, a panda, a falcon. Suddenly the paths of these children - and the world - have been changed for ever. Enter the world of Erdas, where every child who comes of age must discover if they have a spirit animal, a rare bond between human and beast that bestows great powers to both. A dark force has risen from distant and long-forgotten lands, and has begun an onslaught that will ravage the world. Now the fate of Erdas has fallen on the shoulders of four young strangers ...and on you.



I've read and listened to several of the 39 Clues books, and I knew these books would be similar to a degree, so I wanted a taste of the series in order to be able to book talk it better.  From the start I could see why kids like these books.  They move along at a good pace which is always important for keeping kids reading.  Plus there are a variety of characters, so if you don't like one main character you may like another (My personal favorite was Abeke).  I also loved the animal aspect!  Any kid who loves animals will really like that part of the story.  I think my favorite animal was the panda just because Meilin wasn't real thrilled to have it as her spirit animal!) 

As for the rest of the story - it was good.  Lots of action and suspense so it kept me listening.  I know kids will enjoy that and want to keep with the series to see how it all works out.  

Final Thought: Well done and perfect for the middle school kid.  Action and suspense enough to keep a reader awake but not enough to scare them! 



Of course I would have this book/series in the media center.  It's a great series to hook the 39 Clue readers into.  But will also appeal to kids who liked Gregor the Overlander, The False Prince or maybe even Percy Jackson! 

No comments:

Post a Comment