December 30, 2016

Audio Review: Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender


Title: Bad Girls Don't Die
Author: Kate Alender
Narrator: Johanna Parker


When Alexis's little sister Kasey becomes obsessed with an antique doll, Alexis thinks she is just being her usual weird self. Things get weirder, though, when their house starts changing. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner blasts cold air.
Kasey is changing, too. Her blue eyes go green, she starts using old-fashioned language, and she forgets chunks of time. Most disturbing of all is the dangerous new chip on Kasey's shoulder. The formerly gentle child is gone, and the new Kasey is angry. 
Alexis is the only one who can stop her sister - but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?


To the point review: 
Creepy and fun and enjoyed it.  

Let me explain:
I love creepy books.  I've said that many many times when reviewing book.  This is one that I've seen for awhile.  Many of my students read it and loved it! They kept telling me I needed to read it.  I'm glad I finally listened and did.  In terms of the creep factor it was good.  Not the scariest thing I've ever read, but it did have the wanting to yell out "don't go in there" feel.  A feel times my heart raced because I wanted Alexis to stop and get out!

The story also had some nice twists and turns that I didn't see coming.  A few things I thought I had figured out I didn't, so that was nice.  It kept me guessing which is always good.  

I liked Alexis a lot.  She was strong and determined.  I like that she was trying to put things together and figure out what to do.  I do wish she would've accepted help more, but I get why she didn't.  If I was in Kasey's place I would hope Alexis was on my side! 

Thoughts on the audio book: The narrator did a nice job.  I struggle with female narrators sometimes because I've found they have a tendency to sound whiny and that bothers me.  This narrator didn't have that.  She kept the story moving and definitely added to the creepiness.  

Best for:  People who like to be kept on suspense. 
Best for ages: Around 12 and up.  I had many middle school students who read it.  
Best stick-with-you image: There was a scene where Kasey just kind appears behind Alexis and that was super creepy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment