December 27, 2016

Audio Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Narrators: Debra Wiseman , Joel Johnstone


You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret. . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her.

Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on her tapes-- and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death.

All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town. . .

. . .and what he discovers changes his life forever.
 




To the point review:
Read this book to remind yourself that everyone is going through something and a small gesture can change that.  

Let me explain:
I know that this book has been around for a long while, but I'm only just getting to it now.  I really wish I had read it sooner! It was very good.  Serious - but very good.  When I first started listening to it I thought - "This should be a book all high schoolers need to read."  I still feel that way although I understand it's not a book for everyone.  I just thought it should be something every kid should read because it helps you see that you do not know what is going on with someone and that what you say can have a larger impact (both for the good and bad) than you ever thought.  Hannah was struggling so much.  At first I was was kinda frustrated and just wanted her to be stronger, but as the story went on I understood more and more the place she was in.  It was heartbreaking to know that nothing was going to save her in the end.  

The character of Clay was very real.  I think we could all relate to him - anger at Hannah, anger at himself, sadness, frustration with everyone around him that was involved, unbearable grief that he hadn't done more knowing that he did was he did with what he knew at the time.  My heart hurt for him.   

Thoughts on the audio book:  I think I'm glad I experienced this book this way because the voices of Clay and Hannah were done by different people.  Since Clay was listening to the voice of Hannah it brought her and the story more alive and stronger I think.  

Best for:  People who can handle a very serious and difficult topic
Best for ages:  14+
Best stick-with-you image: Clay at the end of the book walking down the hall

No comments:

Post a Comment