October 16, 2015

Graphic Novel: Oh Brother! Brat Attack! #GNCelebration

This should've gone up Thursday but I already had posts I had promised to post!

This month I'm participating in a celebration of graphic novels.
My students love graphic novels, and I always feel like I should be reading more, so I can recommend more.
This month long celebration will help me do just that!

The month is being hosted by:
Franki Sibberson and Mary Lee Hahn of A Year of Reading
Alyson Beecher of KidLit Frenzy
Tammy Mulligan and Clare Landrigan of Assessment in Perspective


Each Thursday I'll post a review of a graphic novel.

Today it's:

Oh Brother! Brat Attack!
by Bob Weber Jr. and Jay Stephens
Oh, Brother! stars the sibling duo of Bud and Lily, who humorously interact within the leafy confines of their middle-class suburban home and neighborhood. Whether they are playing together in the family room or running amok in the schoolyard, Bud and Lily elevate the act of one-upmanship to Code Red levels. Lily is the quintessential slightly older and far more sensible sister. She takes it upon herself to look after her uninhibited, prank-loving younger brother, Bud. While Lily wins the occasional battle with her cool-headed maturity, Bud is intent on winning the war with his brazen brand of mischief. Despite their obvious differences, Bud and Lily love each other deeply and have a strong sibling bond.

I just received this book in the mail from Amp! Comics for Kids, so I thought I'd read it for the graphic novel feature.  It's a very cute book! I have a daughter and son who are almost 2.5 years apart. I could see so much of their relationship in this book.  Him doing anything to annoy her.  Her being annoyed - or just flat out embarrassed at something he does! It captured that perfectly.  And then the few times where they actually admit in some small way that they care about each other - that was captured perfectly too.  I could see any girl with a little brother relating to and laughing with this book.  And I could see any little brother reading this book and giggling and finding new ways to annoy his sister!

The artwork is simple yet effective - with the stoke of an eyebrow you can see how the sister is feeling! It's bright an colorful with large panels allowing details to be seen.  Well done in this aspect as well.

I will admit I was surprised that it is more of a comic strip book then a full story.  Each page is it's own little story, so there isn't an overlying story from beginning to end.  It's like the Garfield books in the library that the kids love so much.  So I'm no so sure I could label this one graphic "novel" simply because it doesn't tell a story, and if you are looking for that this book won't work.  I do think it could lead kids into true graphic novels, because they would enjoy this one, and you could lead them to others that tell a story.  

In the end - cute book anyone with siblings can relate to! 


No comments:

Post a Comment