October 2, 2014

Review: Tumble & Fall


Title: Tumble & Fall
Author: Alexandra Coutts



A novel about the end of days full of surprising beginnings 

 
The world is living in the shadow of oncoming disaster. An asteroid is set to strike the earth in just one week’s time; catastrophe is unavoidable. The question isn’t how to save the world—the question is, what to do with the time that's left? Against this stark backdrop, three island teens wrestle with intertwining stories of love, friendship and family—all with the ultimate stakes at hand. 
 
Alexandra Coutts's TUMBLE & FALL is a powerful story of courage, love, and hope at the end of the world. 




So I loved the concept of this book.  The idea that everyone knows the world is going to end in one week and looking at how people might spend that week.  Completely grabbed me with the premise! Unfortunately for me if fell flat.  I didn't find any of the characters super interesting or easy to connect to.  One of the main characters Sienna was ok.  She has been through a lot and that should have bought her some of my sympathy, but I just didn't have much for her. I wanted to, but it just wasn't there!  Plus I found her quickly developed relationship with Owen unbelievable even with the fact they are only supposed to have a week to live.

Caden was probably my favorite character just because he seemed more realistic than the rest.  But in the same breathe his story with is father took an odd twist.  I just liked him because he acted more how I expected someone in his situation to action.  

Zan's story was ok.  I get that she was upset about what she found out about her boyfriend's death and really dealing with that, but I found the whole trip she took looking for answers somewhat unrealistic.  Too many things fell together just right for me to completely buy into it.

So, as you can see, there wasn't one character's full story I really really liked.  Most were just ok for me.  In all honesty I liked the story of Sienna's dad and the woman he wanted to marry  to be the best story! It was sweet and what I could see people doing if something like this really happened.  Then again I'm an adult, so I could relate to these characters more!

Final thought:  I didn't hate the book. I just didn't overly care for it.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like not many people enjoyed this one. It is still sitting on my shelf unread. I'm nervous to read it. Not sure it is worth my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest review. I think I'll take a pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete