August 7, 2014

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.




I liked this book quite a bit.  I've read some other reviews, and I know not everyone liked it as much, but I really did.  I read it it one day so that should tell you something.  I really liked the writing style.  There were points in it that it almost felt like it as written in verse, and that appealed to me.  I also like how the author described some of the pain that Cady (the main character) felt.  She gets migraines and how Lockhart described them was spot on.  I get them, and I couldn't believe how well she described what they can be like.  The author does this with other things like the pain Cady feels when her father leaves. All well done.  

I don't want to say too much about the story in fear of giving things away, but I will say I was very surprised by what the truth turned out to be.  It was not what I thought it would be at all.  Of course that was good! I've read several books lately that had great twists and turns (The Third Twin and Feral), but I will say this has been the strongest in keeping me guessing and have the biggest "oh wow!" moment.  I'm sorry that I'm not giving much specifics, but like I said I'm afraid I'll give things away.

I do have to say that this book does risk having the reader not like Cady's family.  They are the Sinclairs (as they repeatedly say) and pretty full of themselves at points, but thankfully for me it wasn't too heavy handed, so I could overlook that. I do wonder though, if I had known this family in real life what I would think of them just because of how they carry themselves.

Final thought - good book with a great twist when the truth is revealed.  



1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I haven't read this, but the twist in Feral sure had me going. I read a book recently -- an adult book -- Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta that had the best twist I ever remember. If you like thrillers, you will like it. Thanks for telling me about this book. I hadn't heard anything about it.

    ReplyDelete