May 16, 2013

Book Review: Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George

Title: Wednesdays in the Tower
Author: Jessica Day George

A castle that is constantly rearranging itself, and a young royal family sworn to protect it... Celie, Rolf, and their beloved Castle Glower are back in this exciting sequel.

Strange things are afoot in Castle Glower: new rooms, corridors, and even stables keep arriving, even when they aren't needed. Celie's brother Bran, the new Royal Wizard, has his hands full cataloguing an entire storeroom full of exotic and highly dangerous weapons, while Celie has her hands full . . . raising the creature that hatches from a giant egg she finds! Will they be able to find out what's making the Castle behave this way in time?


My Thoughts

Super cute, super fun book.  I really enjoyed this one.  I do have to admit that I hadn't read the first book in the series, Tuesdays at the Castle, yet, but to be honest it didn't affect my understanding of this one too much.  It was just a cute fun read!

I've said it many many times in reviews, but I have a hard time with middle school age girls that seem unrealistic or too precocious.  They just kinda annoy me (sorry!).  But once again I was pleasantly surprised!  I didn't find Celie that in any way.  She was just was just a nice girl.  I would say she was delightful, but that might sound silly.  Ok Ok I'll say it - she was delightful!  As you know I read YA as well as MG, and sometimes it's nice to just read a book where it doesn't have mean girls and high drama.  

The plot:  fun, just fun.  I loved.  From the appearing and disappearing rooms, hallways and towers to Rufus and his behavior.  It was completely enjoyable. I liked that there was mystery because it kept the tension in the book a bit higher.  Had it just been the story of Celia finding the secret in the tower without the mystery surrounding it that they had to figure out the story would not be as good.  

Final Thought: Fun MG novel with charm and sweetness
Best stick-with-you image: Any description of Rufus!
Best for readers who:  Enjoy magic, mystery and fun.
Best for ages: 9-12

For the Guys?  Yes.  The brother and sister has equal time in the story, so it will appeal to both.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this series, but am always looking for good middle-grade books. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd like Tuesdays in the Castle, it's just as fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually think the first book was a bit better so I would definitely recommend giving it a shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really cute! I want to read it now. Great review!

    Ann@Blogging Profits

    ReplyDelete