April 12, 2013

Some Different Publishing News

I don't usually do posts about publishing news, but I get several publishing newsletters and one of the latest from PW Children's Bookshelf had some different news I thought I'd share.


App for MirrorWorld (Reckless) by Cornelia Funke
I was excited to see an article about an app that Cornelia Funke helped created for her series Mirror World - Reckless and Fearless.  The app is titled: MirrorWorld: Past the Reflection of Your World Into a Realm of Magic and Adventure, which releases as an app on April 17.

The article in PW says: "The app, which will only be available for the iPad before expanding to an abridged Kindle format at $2.99 “soon,” is a 110-minute multimedia experience with 16 original standalone spinoff stories based on the MirrorWorld books. There are also characters’ journals, lists of eccentric items maintained in MirrorWorld, enchanted artifacts, and treasures; the Ogre Tavern serves as the hub to every experience."  I'm a bit sad it's only for Ipad now because I don't own an Ipad, but I'm hopeful for it coming to Android at some point. What I'm most excited about is just the idea of the app.  There are several books that I'd love to have an app  - Divergent and The Gone series by Michael Grant just to name a few.  What are your thoughts on book apps like this?  I'm all for them IF they include more reading for people not if they are only for games of some sort.  

Here's a link to the full article: Cornelia Funke Partners with Mirada to Create MirrorWorld App

A New Patrick Ness Book!
This really excited me becuase I love Patrick Ness.  He's Chaos Walking series is awesome and I loved what he did with Siobhan Dowd's A Monster Calls. It's called More Than This.  Here's the summary:
A boy named Seth drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments, losing his life as the pounding sea claims him. But then he wakes. He is naked, thirsty, starving. But alive. How is that possible? He remembers dying, his bones breaking, his skull dashed upon the rocks. So how is he here? And where is this place? It looks like the suburban English town where he lived as a child, before an unthinkable tragedy happened and his family moved to America. But the neighborhood around his old house is overgrown, covered in dust, and completely abandoned. What’s going on? And why is it that whenever he closes his eyes, he falls prey to vivid, agonizing memories that seem more real than the world around him? Seth begins a search for answers, hoping that he might not be alone, that this might not be the hell he fears it to be, that there might be more than just this. . . .
Sounds very interesting! 

Lastly a great book trailer I want to share.

This part didn't come from PW Children's Bookshelf.  I saw the book trailer for Margaret Stohl's new book Icons.  Looks fantastic!  I was lucky enough to score an ARC.  Now I just need to fight over it with my students!! I showed them the trailer, and they all want it.


Here's the trailer



2 comments:

  1. I saw that about Cornelia Funke too. It sounds cool and I'm excited that the second book in this series is coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! ICONS looks scary, but intriguing.

    I get Children's Bookshelf too, so I read that news about the app. I don't have an iPad either, but if I did, this looks like something that could easily become addictive. (And that would be the main problem with apps, I think -- huge time wasters).

    An app for Divergent would be even cooler!! Love those books.

    ReplyDelete