January 30, 2013

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Copy Obtained: Bought

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive.






This book has been out for a bit now, and it had buzz right away because of the odd pictures scattered throughout the book.  The cover alone is amazing.  I had just never gotten around to reading it.  We picked it for a literature circle book for my 8th graders, so I knew it was time.  Hmmmmmm what did I think??  I knew going into the story that it had gotten mixed reviews.  Some people love it and others not so much.  I fall into the "not so much" category.  I didn't hate it by any means, but I just wasn't super excited about it.  I think the man reason was the pacing.  To me it moved really slow before it really picked up.  

Ok what did I like?  I liked Jacob.  I really did.  It was because I liked him that I kept reading.  If I hadn't liked him I would've stopped.  He was determined, brave and genuine.  He accepted the children quite easily, and that would've come across as unbelievable if it had been for his grandfather.  Because of his relationship with his grandfather, I could believe Jacob's reactions very easily.  As a side note - I loved his relationship with his parents.  I found that super believable, and it actually made me giggle a little.  

As for the pictures - they were definitely interesting.  I know my students are drawn to the book for the pictures alone, and if that gets them to pick it up and read it I'm happy!  Every once in awhile it seemed the story was twisted just so the picture would fit where as the story would've been fine without the picture being included.

My students seem to love this book! They all find it creepy/scary.  As long as they love it, it doesn't matter what I think of it!


Final Thought: Kids love it - that's enough for me
Best stick-with-you image: The first time he sees the house as it was
Best for readers who: Like a bit of creepy and a bit of mystery
Best for ages: 12+

For the Guys? For sure! Jacob is definitely a character boys will like, and the story is one they'll enjoy.  




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jill. I haven't read this. I've heard good things about this, but being an adoptive mom, I'm not sure I'm interested in reading about an orphanage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was on my list, but your review has given me second thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, this book started off very slow as well. Then, while I enjoyed it, I don't really have any interest in moving forward in the series.

    ReplyDelete