March 16, 2012

Interview: Bob Brooks Author of Tales From the Glades of Ballymore +FREE eCopy TODAY!



Today I am welcoming Bob Brooks author of Tales From the Glades of Ballymore with illustrations by Karen Ross Ohlinger. 

The setting for my book is the countryside surrounding a large pond somewhere in the British Isles. The year is 1891. The Hills are to the north and Waterford hamlet is to the south. The animal residents have the ability to speak and have created a selfsustaining community that has existed for many years. The community’s success is rooted in the caring and sharing they extend to each other. You are most welcome to join them as they help each other through their adventures — big and small.

You will meet Bartholomew, the wise old owl, who watches over everyone including:


Wilde and Wilder Weasel, the mischievous, unofficial “security guards”;

Branna, the brave and spunky bluebird;
Finn Frog whose middle name is “Adventure”;
Grenby, the eccentric, weather forecasting ground hog;
The chipmunks who seem to attract trouble wherever they go;
The “Pond Creature” and many more.

This is a heartwarming, humorous, and adventurous family book of intertwined tales with an underlying theme based upon the “The Golden Rule”. The book is intended for 8-12 year olds but can be appreciated by anyone - young or old. The tales are further enhanced by the beautiful full-color illustrations.

Interview
What is the book’s point of view?
I am telling a story that occurred a long time ago. I used the 3rd point of view.


Who is the main character?
He is Bartholomew Owl


What is the book’s genre?
I would classify it as a “soft” adventure book. There is no violence and it is based upon the Golden Rule.

Is it more of a boy or girl book?
That’s hard to say. It has elements that will appeal to boys or girls or both.


Why did you choose to write at the MG level?
The best answer is that MG books are my favorites, and so it was natural to write this one as a MG book.

For your MG novel what part are you most excited about?
I’m prejudiced, but I love the book. The parts that involve Finn Frog or the Weasels are my favorites.

What part do you think they'll enjoy reading the most or was the most fun to write?
The Weasels Halloween chapter was great fun to write. It combines adventure, humor, and the unknown.

When you were in middle school kind of student were you?
I was a good student, most of the time. However, I do remember a time in fourth grade. I was playing “footsie” with a classmate across the isle in the school room. Unfortunately, I stuck out my foot just as the teacher walked by. She tripped over it and fell. She wasn’t hurt, but the class thought it was very funny. Needless to say, I had to stay after school that day.

Did you write then? Did you read?
I don’t remember writing in middle school but I did enjoy reading.


WHOOO do you like to read?
J. K. Rowling, J. R. R. Tolkien, Cornelia Funke


The Fun Questions from 7th Graders

Do you chew gum?
No, not for a long time.


Do you text?
No, but I Tweet a lot.


Was school lunch just as yucky then as it is now?!
Yes, school lunch was frequently yucky. My most “unfavorite” was some kind of un-chewable, stringy meat in a cream sauce. It was accompanied by a cold hard-boiled potato. Very Yucky!



Thanks Bob! This book sounds so adorable and sweet! And the illustrations are amazing!
And guess what?! If you agree you can get an Kindle ecopy today (today only!) for FREE! Just follow the link below.  
Remember you don't need a Kindle to be able to read it.  If you have an Ipad, Ipod Touch, Iphone for any other device where you can download the Kindle app you can read it.  I just downloaded it onto my Droid! :) 

Now GO! Get it! Read it!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you! The book looks wonderful, and I just 'bought' it.

    ReplyDelete