March 21, 2012

7th Grade Guest Review: The Unwanteds

Today I have a guest review by one of my 7th graders.  He is reviewing the mg book The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann

Every year in Quill, thirteen-year-olds are sorted into categories: the strong, intelligent Wanteds go to university, and the artistic Unwanteds are sent to their deaths. 
Thirteen-year-old Alex tries his hardest to be stoic when his fate is announced as Unwanted, even while leaving behind his twin, Aaron, a Wanted. Upon arrival at the destination where he expected to be eliminated, however, Alex discovers a stunning secret—behind the mirage of the "death farm" there is instead a place called Artime. 
In Artime, each child is taught to cultivate their creative abilities and learn how to use them magically, weaving spells through paintbrushes and musical instruments. Everything Alex has ever known changes before his eyes, and it's a wondrous transformation. 
But it's a rare, unique occurence for twins to be separated between Wanted and Unwanted, and as Alex and Aaron's bond stretches across their separation, a threat arises for the survival of Artime that will pit brother against brother in an ultimate, magical battle.
The Review

Your Name Tyler

Why did you decide to pick up this book and read it?
I picked it up because the cover had a short sentence reading something like "The Hunger Games meets Harry Potter". And I enjoyed both of the Novels.

Did you like the book? Please explain why you liked it or not.
I liked it very much. Fast paced, interesting, and plenty of action, and of course the distopia, my kind of book.

What part did you like the best and why?
I liked the ending the best because that was when the most action occurred and the excitement got to me. I couldn't stop reading.

Tell me what you thought of the main character(s). Did you like him/her/them? Did you like how they acted/reacted to events in the story?

The characters were very well put together, the author put a lot of thought into the character Mr. Today. He was the man providing refuge for the "unwanteds" in a magical kind of world. His wisdom, decisions, and appearance reminded me a lot of like "Dumbledore", from Harry Potter. They also have funny names in common.

Would you recommend this book to a friend?
Yes, it's a good, average length book that would stick with you even after finishing it. It makes you think, predict, and sometimes laugh. Very interesting.

Tell me anything else about the book and your opinion of it that you want to share!
"The Hunger Games meets Harry Potter" was very true to the book. You'll regret not picking it up.

6 comments:

  1. Such a well written review! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I picked it up for the same reason. I really enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'll put it on my to-read list.

    I just found this blog, partly because of the name. What a great find!

    -- Barb, writer of middle-grade novels, owl fancier

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative review. I loved this book. The premise was my favorite. It was so creative and unique, having artsy kids being eliminated really got me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still meaning to read this one! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I enjoyed reading this one, as well.

    ReplyDelete