October 7, 2011

For the Guys - Student Review: Rotters by Daniel Kraus

For todays For the Guys I have a student guest review for a book that just could be for the guys!


Title: Rotters
Author: Daniel Kraus
Publisher: Delacorte Press


Summary
Grave-robbing. What kind of monster would do such a thing? It's true that Leonardo da Vinci did it, Shakespeare wrote about it, and the resurrection men of nineteenth-century Scotland practically made it an art. But none of this matters to Joey Crouch, a sixteen-year-old straight-A student living in Chicago with his single mom. For the most part, Joey's life is about playing the trumpet and avoiding the daily humiliations of high school.
   
Everything changes when Joey's mother dies in a tragic accident and he is sent to rural Iowa to live with the father he has never known, a strange, solitary man with unimaginable secrets. At first, Joey's father wants nothing to do with him, but once father and son come to terms with each other, Joey's life takes a turn both macabre and exhilarating.



Student Review

The plot of this book was to tell you what grave robbers did.  Rotter’s main character name is Joey Crouch and he has to move in with his dad he hasn’t seen in his life time because of his mother’s death.  His “dad’s” job is the garbage man but soon finds out that it isn’t what people have been saying.  Joey’s dad lives in a town called Bloughtons, Joey notices his dad is gone to more than a day at a time.
                                                                 
I found this book very intriguing and weird, it although gives very good detail in describing places, things, and people.  Rotter’s was a sad book in some parts as you would find out in this grueling and amazing book.  I had to stop many times during this book to how long it was and reread some parts but it was worth the time!  It also had some funny parts where Joey actually gets back at his teacher!
            
I would recommend this book not to be read by any people in the age of 13, due to language.  The Rotter’s book had barely any things they should change but here are some that I noticed.  It had a bit much of swearing in the book.  Although this most likely normal in a high school.

My Thoughts
I'll be honest and say I didn't completely read/finish this book.  Now this WAS NOT because I didn't like it.  I did! I just had other books that had to get done.  I agree with what my student review said - that sometimes I had to stop and reread parts.  Daniel Kraus' prose is amazing! So detailed that it was sometimes hard to take in, in one read.  And I was amazed at how me wrote about some really tough things in a way that made them seem ordinary because they were ordinary or unchangeable for the character! You were completely drawn into the events and into that world.  It felt so real, and I think that's why sometimes it was hard to read!

I do plan on going to finish the book because I understand the relationship that develops between the father and son is amazing.  It become a lot of what the book is about.  

For the Guys? Yes if you are willing to be somewhat challenged by the thoughts and writing style of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment