September 15, 2011

BBAW: How Has Blogging Changed What You Read

Today for BBAW we're looking at how being a blogger and following blogs has changed how I read. Has it opened up new authors or genres? The way I read? How I read?  

It's changed my reading life in a lot of ways!

  • I know all the MG/YA books coming out before they hit the shelves so BN isn't a surprise anymore!
  • I've discovered that authors published by smaller publishers write awesome books.
  • I have a longer list of books to read and SOMETIMES reading feels like work :(
  • I know books like: Entwined, Ruby Red, Rot & Ruin, and Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze that I would've never known before!
  • When reading a book I do always think about how I'll review it.
  • I use book trailers in my classroom to promote a book and get kids interested
  • I crave signed books :)
  • I know what swag is!

But the biggest way I've changed - I listen to audio books!  Really! I would've never listened to audio books if it hadn't been for blogging.  I just never gave them much thought.  For one thing the price was always a factor. But after reading reviews on them and listening to other blogger rave about them I decided to give them a try.  And now I love them!  I learned how to get them through my library and Audible.com so price isn't an issue anymore.  They are my new passion for getting reluctant readers to read.  I don't think they should ever replace "traditional" reading, but I see the potential they hold.  I owe all the bloggers that showed me the light.  Thank you!!!!!


Has blogging changed you either being a blogger or reading blogs?  

2 comments:

  1. You use trailers in class? How smart! I bet the kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I show my son book trailers to get him excited about a book so I can completely see how that would be a "hit" in the classroom. Also, using audio books to entice reluctant readers to reading, brilliant, and it works! I tried it with my own "reluctant reader" son and he LOVES reading along with an audio book. You made several points that I can totally relate to about how blogging has changed your reading. Great post!

    ReplyDelete