May 2, 2011

Net Galley Month Wrap - Up With Two Mini Reviews

I was excited to participate in NetGalley Month hosted by Red Willow Books.  I had high hopes of getting a ton read.  Well - I didn't.  I did get two read though!  Below are my mini reviews of them.

Those That Wake by Jesse Karp
New York City’s spirit has been crushed. People walk the streets with their heads down, withdrawing from one another and into the cold comfort of technology. Teenagers Mal and Laura have grown up in this reality. They’ve never met. Seemingly, they never will. 
But on the same day Mal learns his brother has disappeared, Laura discovers her parents have forgotten her. Both begin a search for their families that leads them to the same truth: someone or something has wiped the teens from the memories of every person they have ever known. Thrown together, Mal and Laura must find common ground as they attempt to reclaim their pasts.

Review
I wish I would've liked this one more.  It had such a great concept, but honestly I wasn't too sold on it.  The idea was so intriguing.  The idea of being erased from every one's memory that once knew you - wow!  And at first it was wow!  When Laura figures out her parents don't know her anymore I was heart sick!  Her grief was so spot on.  But then from there I got very complicated for me.  I didn't expect it to have so much science fiction, so I think that was the problem.  After they "awake", they start going through all these theories, and I found it very hard to wrap my head around what they were trying to say.  I got, in the end, that it had a lot to do with hopelessness, but I wish it had just stuck to that instead of trying to make it all scientific.  At the end of the book I got the lesson it was trying to teach, but I really had to work for it.  I wouldn't say don't read this book - but I would say be prepared to work for it!

Cool side note - it talks about MEME's! With the use of meme all over the blog world it was really cool to see it explained in the book the way it was.  I kinda understand why meme's are called memes' now :)

Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly
Willow knows she’s different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people’s dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces, and that he’s one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil. In the first book in an action-packed, romantic trilogy, L..A. Weatherly sends readers on a thrill-ride of a road trip - and depicts the human race at the brink of a future as catastrophic as it is deceptively beautiful.
They’re out for your soul . . . and they don’t have heaven in mind.

Review
Did like this one better after I got over one thing! Growing up Christian I had one idea of an angel, and I really had to let that idea go with this book.  These are not angels like I know them! They aren't loving and kind at all!  Plus I had to accept the idea that you would want to kill them.  Yikes!  Once I let go of that I did enjoy it much  more.  I liked Willow a lot.  She was so strong and sure of herself.  As her and Alex team up I loved that she did things like drove the car too! She wasn't so helpless and in need of being "saved" or taken care of.  Nice to see that.  As the book went along it did become more romance than I expected.  There was a chunk that was just that.  I think I would've liked a bit more pure action and fight, but I think that's coming in a following book.  I also liked that you never really knew who you could trust or not.  When that happens I find myself sitting up and taking notice better.  Over - all good read once I let go of preconceived ideas.

One part I didn't like - there is a scene where Alex and Willow drink.  It just seemed very out of place and unnecessary to the plot - not to mention they are both under 21.  Most books I get when characters do this, but I didn't this time.  Just a minor thing but one I did want to point out.


So that wraps up my NetGalley Month!

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about Those That Wake. Thanks for participating :)

    ReplyDelete