February 4, 2011

Friday's for the Guys: The Mysterious Benedict Society

Every Friday I highlight books and authors that are ones boys might really enjoy. I'm not saying girls wouldn't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books.

This week I'm highlighting:

The Mysterious Benedict 
by Trenton Lee Stewart

Why It Would Be Good for Boys
I haven't read this series, but my daughter has.  I asked her if she thought it would be good for boys and she said in her best "no duh" voice "Well it's told from a boy's point of view." So I guess in her mind that makes good for boys.  I have other reasons I thought it might be.  I like that it's not a sports book or a Percy Jackson/Harry Potter wanna-be.  It's different from the stereotypical boys' book, and I think it can hook in a whole different group of boys.  I like that "brain power" is important in the book.  I think it's something that needs to be used more in boys' books. 

From Goodreads (about the first book)
Young readers who have worked their way through Lemony Snicket may well find their next obsession in The Mysterious Benedict Society, a dandy YA debut by novelist Trenton Lee Stewart. This engaging tale has all the elements tweens find intriguing: gifted kids, a dangerous mission, and a secret society where nothing is as it seems. Stewart throws plenty of challenges -- physical, mental, and moral -- in the path of his young protagonists, and readers will have fun solving the riddles and unraveling the clues in this smart, unconventional mystery. Complex, unpredictable, and deeply respectful of children's innate intelligence, The Mysterious Benedict Society is highly recommended for thoughtful preteens. P.S. We loved it, too.



Here are two other covers.  I like them both better.  Wish they were the US ones!


1 comment:

  1. I agree that this one is a great book for boys - heck, it's great for everyone! I loved it to pieces, and I'm firmly in the 'girl' and 'over 18' category. It was clever and funny and interesting. Nice feature!

    ReplyDelete