October 4, 2010

Guest Book Review: The Replacement

Today I have a special guest reviewer - one of my students Lisa! She recently read The Replacement said yes when I asked her to write a review of it.



 


Title: The Replacement
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Publisher: Razorbill

From Goodreads
Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.
A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?
Her Review
First of all, I have to say that The Replacement was a fantastic book that kept me guessing about what would happen! And, it has a very shiny cover, and come on, who doesn't like shiny things?

The characters in this book seem to be well developed, especially the main character, Mackie Doyle. Throughout the story, as he learns about himself, you get to learn with him. You don't know anything about who he really is until he finds out about it himself. It's a nice touch that made me feel like I was apart of the story. Honestly, I loved all the characters equally. How the author wrote the story helped you appreciate them all, even the evil ones.

I loved the plot, it kept me wanting to read, even if it was late at night. Of course since I have school, I had to force myself from staying up until midnight or later. But overall, I only have one little complaint about it. I feel like I have to reread it so I can read about Mackie's character more, because it took awhile to get to each part where you learn about who Mackie really is. It felt like every 5 chapters you learned something new. But, it got lost in the jumble of other things going on.

I really do love this book and recommend it to anyone. :)

My Thoughts
I pretty much echo what Lisa says! I enjoyed the book, but I sometimes feel like I need to reread it get more of the story!
 
Best Stick-with-you image: The "underground" scenes
Best for readers who like: A bit of "oddness" in their stories :)
Best for ages: 12+

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review!
    I so wanna read this book! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Lisa! I'm still waiting for our school copy to come in, but am especially glad to know that it's SHINY. Really does make the books easier to recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review. I've been wanting to read the book and you've made me want to read it more. I've heard lots of good things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently won this and I'm dying to read it! It has been on my must-read list since I first saw the cover. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it, as well as your student. Thanks for the guest review Lisa :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I'm really looking forward to reading this one myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been dying to read this one. Thanks for the review! :-)

    ReplyDelete