March 30, 2010

Tween Tuesday: Smile by Raina Telgemeier


Tween Tuesday was started over at Green Bean Teen Queen as away to hightlight awesome books for the 9-12 year old set. AKA Tweens. Any book highlighted on Tween Tuesday does count for the In the Middle Reading Challenge.

This week's book is:
Smile by Raina Telgemeier

I just got this book in my classroom library, and it doesn't stay on the shelf!  They all want to read it.  It does look pretty cute.
I think it's for two reasons:

1. It's about getting braces - something they can relate to
2. It's a graphic novel.

From Goodreads
Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth, and what follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly.



This coming-of-age true story is sure to resonate with anyone who has ever been in middle school, and especially those who have ever had a bit of their own dental drama.

2 comments:

  1. Smile sounds like a great book, just from the summary I can see why it wouldn't stay on the shelf for long. I just searched for it in our library system database and it is checked out everywhere. I'm thinking we should have a copy at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked this one out from my library-it looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete