December 29, 2009

Tween Tuesday Dec 29

Tween Tuesday was started over at Green Bean Teen Queen as away to hightlight awesome books for the 9-12 year old set. AKA Tweens.

This week I'm featuring:

Al Capone Does My Shirts and Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko

From Goodreads:
Murderers, mob bosses, and convicts . . . these guys are not your average neighbors. Unless you live on Alcatraz. It’s 1935 and twelve-year-old Moose Flanagan and his family have just moved to the infamous island that’s home to criminals like notorious escapee Roy Gardner, Machine Gun Kelly, and of course, Al Capone. Now Moose has to try to fit in at his new school, avoid getting caught up in one of the warden’s daughter’s countless plots, and keep an eye on his sister Natalie, who’s not like other kids. All Moose wants to do is protect Natalie, live up to his parents’ expectations, and stay out of trouble. But on Alcatraz, trouble is never very far away.

I read the first one several years ago and LOVED it.  Moose is a great character, and you can competely relate to him and the struggle he has dealing with a sister with autism.  I also liked how it dealt with autism, but in a setting where little was known. 
I haven't read the sequel yet, but it is on my TBR list!

TWEENS WILL LOVE IT BECAUSE:
They love the idea of living on Alcatraz island while it was actually a prison.

THEY WILL LEARN TO LOVE IT BECAUSE;
They'll learn what it's like for kids to have a sibling with a disability and how to treat kids with disabilities.



3 comments:

  1. I think I shall be adding these to the school library then. They sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first one and I still need to get my hands on the second. The tweens I know that have read these really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete