November 17, 2009

Review: Ghost in the Machine by Patrick Carman

Title: Ghost in the Machine

By: Patrick Carman
Publisher: Scholastic Press

Otherworld Creature: Ghosts

From Goodreads:
Strange things are happening in Skeleton Creek...and Ryan and Sarah are trying to find out why. Ryan writes down everything in his journal, and Sarah records everything on her videocam. The two move deeper into the mystery they've uncovered, determined to discover the secrets buried in Skeleton Creek, in the conclusion to Patrick Carman's thrilling series.



In this groundbreaking format, the story is broken into two parts -- Ryan's text in the book, and Sarah's videos on a special website, with links and passwords given throughout the book.

As the description says, you read and watch videos.  I downloaded the videos onto my Ipod Touch from iTunes (they are under podcasts), so when it came time to watch a video I was set to go.  I had read the first book, Skeleton Creek, and the ending of that book demanded that I read this one too! It didn't disappoint. If anything I enjoyed this one even more than the first. I found the book and videos much more creepy than before.  There were many times my heart was pounding as I watched Sara go into places I wanted to yell at her to get out of!  One time I literally jumped! Ryan's journal didn't lack in creepiness either.  He experiences several odd events that, if they happened to me, I would've found it hard to go back into my bedroom.  The story wraps up nicely (if not a little predictably) but for a good fun read - it is perfect.

Bottom Line: a great fun book for middle schools with just a dash of creepiness.

Best for ages: 12-14 (maybe 10 if they don't scare easily)

Last month I featured Patrick Carman.  To see that post go here.

3 comments:

  1. Interest. I love the new multi-media books. It's such a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very good. I never heard of multi-media books before. They do sound great.

    ReplyDelete