October 12, 2009

What I'm Reading Monday


This is a weekly meme hosted by J. Kaye's Book Blog. Each week on Monday we tell what we read the previous week and what we plan to read in the upcoming week.

This will I will be starting Defenders of the Scroll by Shiraz.  I recieved this for review.  It looks like a pretty cool book.  Check out the trailer below!

Summary from Barnes and Noble

A teenage boy.
A dark wizard.
A mystic scroll.
And the fate of a world hangs in the balance...

When Alex "the Axeman" Logan is pulled from his world to help a young princess, named Dara, save her kingdom from the Shadow Lord, he thinks there has been a mistake. He's a teen guitar player close to failing 11th grade, not some defender of the realm. All he has are some school books, his wits, and his love of fantasy movies.

Overnight his life is history. Alex must confront the Shadow Lord and his minions when he is thrust into a land that has changed from a magical paradise to a barren, hopeless, helpless realm invaded by a dark army. But Alex is not alone. He has the help of Dara, a magic scroll, and a band of unlikely companions drawn from his own history books: a hardened Roman Legionnaire, a swift Japanese Samurai, a fearless African Warrior, a fiery Amazon Archer, and a spirited Shaolin Monk.

Can Alex become more than he believes and lead his small band of Defenders to the Hall of Shadows, the birthplace of the Shadow Lord? The fate of the realm and everyone in it rests on him.



Listening

I'll also start listening to The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt in the car with my daughter since we finished The Dead and The Gone.  See my review of it here.

Summary from Barnes and Noble


Seventh grader Holling Hoodhood has a tough year ahead of him. First of all, his teacher Mrs. baker, keeps giving him the evil eye. Second of all, the class bully keeps threatening to do Number 167 (and you don't even want to know what Number 167 is). Third of all, his father keeps calling him the Son Who is Going to Inherit Hoodhood and Associates. But things are changing, and while reciting his favorite curses from Shakespear's plays, Holling might just find the true meaning of his own story.

I started listening to this while running on the treadmill and laughed so hard I almost fell off!

And lastly, I'll be listening to Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson while I run on the treadmill.  I'm going to start listening to a book sometimes while I run.  It'll help me get through the TBR pile, and since I figured out how to rent audio books from the library and put them on my iPod I have lots of books to get started on.

Summary from Barnes and Noble

Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in fragile bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the thinnest. But then Cassie suffers the ultimate loss—her life—and Lia is left behind, haunted by her friend's memory and feeling guilty for not being able to help save her. In her most powerfully moving novel since Speak, awardwinning author Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia's struggle, her painful path to recovery, and her desperate attempts to hold on to the most important thing of all—hope.


 Finished

Last week I finished listening to The Dead and The Gone and and finished reading The Hunger Games.  Watch for me review of The Hunger Games soon!


5 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved The Wednesday Wars. Hope you enjoy it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wednesday Wars sounds great and so does Defenders of the Scroll! Can't wait to see what you though of The Hunger Games.
    I love having audio books on my mp3 but my transmitter isn't that great so I have to stick with CDs in the car. But I listen to the ones I have on it at work so it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Wintegirls even with the rough subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O
    I can't wait to see your Hunger Games review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will continue to fall off the treadmill laughing while listening to The Wednesday Wars.

    I think you are very brave to listen to Wintergirls (especially while exercising). Powerful.

    ReplyDelete