October 20, 2009

Watchya Readin'? Wednesday

I love Waiting On Wednesday, but to be honest I feel like I'm just repeating what other people say, and I want to starting including more thoughts, ideas and suggestions from my students.  I started this blog for them, and I feel like I haven't been making sure they are the focus.  In that vein I'm starting Watchya Readin' Wednesday.  Each week I'll ask me students what books they are reading, and that will become my weekly Wednesday post.  This way I'm focusing on what's really going on in the reading life of real 7th graders.  Hint hint - any publisher or authors reading, this is what 7th graders are REALLY reading not what I, the teacher, WANT them to read :)  Let's get started on this week's addition!

Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede
The Upstairs Room Johanna Reiss
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Life as We Knew It (2 students) by Susan Beth Pfeffer
I'd Tell You I Love You, but Then I'd Have to Kill You Ally Carter
Shiver (2 students) Maggie Stiefvater
Specials and Uglies Scott Westerfeld
Dial L for Loser Lisi Harrison
The Last Olympians Rick Riodan
Pendragon D.J. McHale
The Lost Boy Dave Pelzer
Dork Diaries Rachel R. Russel
Scat Carl Hiaasen

Isn't this a great list of books??? Look at the diversity.  That would be why I read both middle grade and young adult lit.  Check back in next week to see what's new.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this is great! As an aspiring school librarian, what students are ACTUALLY reading is the most important thing to know. Thanks for the post and keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea. And your students have great taste in books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I'll have to watch out and see what your students are reading. (Is it a sign of my seventh grade taste that I am reading/have read about seven of those books?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea! I love seeing what kids are reading--it is mostly what I'm reading, lol.

    ReplyDelete