October 27, 2009

Tweener Tuesday

Tween Tuesday was started over at Green Bean Teen Queen as away to hightlight awesome books for the 9-12 year old set. AKA Tweens.

This week's book is:
39 Clues: The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan

Minutes before she died Grace Cahill changed her will, leaving her descendants an impossible decision: "You have a choice - one million dollars or a clue."

Grace is the last matriarch of the Cahills, the world's most powerful family. Everyone from Napoleon to Houdini is related to the Cahills, yet the source of the family power is lost. 39 Clues hidden around the world will reveal the family's secret, but no one has been able to assemble them. Now the clues race is on, and young Amy and Dan must decide what's important: hunting clues or uncovering what REALLY happened to their parents.

Not only do you read the books, but you become part of the story by taking cards that come with each book and going online to try and solve some of the clues.  Up for grabs: $100,000 in prizes!  Who wouldn't like that? The website can be found here.

There are to be 10 books in total with the last book coming out September 2010.  What's really interesting is that the books are being written by different authors.  Authors that have written so far include: Rick Riordan, Patrick Carman, Jude Watson, Peter Lerangis and Gordan Korman.  Students that have read these have really enjoyed them.  My daughter, who is 10,  loves them.  I would say that older kids aren't as interested in them.  The best for ages seem to 9-12.  Perfect for tweens.

5 comments:

  1. I have the first one on my shelf but haven't picked it up. I didn't know they were written by different people. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series, and even more amazingly-my husband loves this series (and he never reads anything!) I read a lot of middle grade because the draft I'm working on is middle grade, and I was curious about this series because of the different writers and how fast the books come out (every 3 months, it's insane). But they crack me up and my husband was curious about what the clues were so I gave him my standard answer (read it to find out). And he did! And he got hooked. Next one comes out November 3--can't wait! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series. I'm so addicted, I even play the web components with my kids at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 7th graders are in love with this series. As is my 28 year-old husband. Me too, if I'm being honest.

    ReplyDelete