October 16, 2009

Friday's For the Guys

Ok I'll admit it - I stink at making sure I've got books for the boys in my class.  Naturally I'm drawn to girl books.  I never have to search to find them.  I also do good about getting what I see as more gender neutural books.  It's time I make an effort to find fantastic books for boys. So with those intentions I introduce you to:

Friday's For the Guys!

Everything Friday I'll highlight books and authors that are pretty much only for the boys.  I'm not saying girls don't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books.  This Friday I'm highlighting:

Mike Lupica and his new book, Million Dollar Throw, coming out November 3rd. 

For those of you that don't know Mike Lupica has written several books involving sports, but they always go beyond just the game.  Read the summary of Million Dollar Throw to see what I mean.

From Barnes and Noble

What would you do with a million dollars, if you were 13? Nate Brodie is nicknamed “Brady” not only for his arm, but also because he’s the biggest Tom Brady fan. He’s even saved up to buy an autographed football. And when he does, he wins the chance for something he’s never dreamed of—to throw a pass through a target at a Patriots game for one million dollars. Nate should be excited. But things have been tough lately. His dad lost his job and his family is losing their home. It’s no secret that a million dollars would go a long way. So all Nate feels is pressure, and just when he needs it most, his golden arm begins to fail him. Even worse, his best friend Abby is going blind, slowly losing her ability to do the one thing she loves most—paint. Yet Abby never complains, and she is Nate’s inspiration. He knows she’ll be there when he makes the throw of a lifetime.

Check out the trailer!


He also write a series of sports books called The Comeback Kids.  I'm very thankful for the books Mike Lupica's writes.  I have been able to get many boys reading because they see it's about a sport they enjoy.  From the looks of it,  Million Dollar Throw, will help me hook them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment